4.20.2011

only 2 days left.

bittersweet. the exact way i started my blog almost three months ago. 
as time is winding down to the final 48 hours it's hard to imagine this experience being over. i feel like it was yesterday when i was sitting on the floor in the atlanta airport with 19 of my future roommates talking about how excited we were to be leaving our normal ordinary lives in auburn and starting new ones together in italy. i'll admit i was skeptical on the whole idea of living with 19 girls. i'll also admit that i have particular ways of doing things (a krywicki trait), so i wasn't sure if i'd be able to change my ways or accept other peoples. i hated living in the dorms my freshman year, the thought of sharing a room with not just one person but four others didn't sound like a pleasant walk in the park either. but i had an open mind. i made sure i had an optimistic attitude the second i walked into the palace doors. sure there was tons of things running through my head. what if the beds are uncomfortable? what if my roommates hate me? what if i hate my roommates? will i have my own space ever again? what if the showers are cold? what if i don't get along with anyone? etc. etc. it's only natural, i'm sure i wasn't the only one. i was always the girl who was friends with all the guys because i never could trust girls, other than my best friend kelsey from the 1st grade. i was the girl who got stabbed in the back way too many times to ever fully let my guard down. now i was living with all girls. and it was the best experience ever. was there ever a fight between any of us...nope. did anyone get stabbed in the back...nope. we're we always there for each other when something was wrong...yep. did we share things and help each other out when someone needed something...yep.
when i return to the states saturday and living alone this summer, i'm not going to know what to do with myself. i've gotten so used to eating every meal with someone. shopping with someone. instead of calling my friends on the phone i just had to yell down the stairs or to the other room. these girls have become my family and soon enough we'll have to part ways. one thing i'm striving to do this summer and throughout the rest of my life is to stay in touch with all of them. every single girl has something great about them or something to offer the world. i'm lucky to be stuck with at least four of them this summer since we're all interior design and most of the others are planning on taking class in auburn as well. hopefully weekly reunions will be a must on everyone's agendas, i know it will be on mine. 
it's going to be weird not packing in a backpack for a weekend, jumping on a plane, and traveling to a different country for a few days. i got spoiled over here when it came to seeing new places and doing new things. when i get back to the states i won't have my own little nook, i'll have my own little house. which is weird because i've gotten so used to my cozy little space in the palace that i won't know what to do with all the space my house has to offer (not a terrible thing). 
it's going to be hard leaving the family i made over here, but exciting to be returning to all those people i had to leave behind. i do miss them and i do miss a lot of things in the states, but i'm going to miss things just as much that i'm leaving behind here. i'm going to miss terribly the market every monday morning. i never have had so many delicious fruits and veggies for cheap prices in my life. the view i get every morning when i take a walk won't ever be mimicked by alabama. the slow meals and stress free life is going to be hard to bring back with me, but its one thing i'm going to try my hardest to fit in my suitcase and take with me. 
as the final days approach, i've handed in all my assignments. i'm ready for my final in the morning (well, maybe not so much). and i've started to pack my two large duffle bags, plus an additional carry on bag that i didn't have when i came here. luckily i didn't buy anything more than what i did or i'd being leaving a lot behind. tomorrow we're having a picnic in the chigi park and cooking a southern meal for our professors and staff. friday, we pack, clean, take inventory, and plan to have a group dinner together as our last one in italy. i know when friday night does come and i should be sleeping i won't be able to. i'll have too much on my mind about leaving, flying, and returning to auburn. till then i'll be sure to make my last 2 days worth it and enjoy my little time left to the fullest.
jamie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment