4.21.2011

capstone

i thought i'd include in my blog the capstone paper we had to write to wrap up our time here. it's pretty long but split up into specific questions and sections:



1. Introduction
Ecstatic, thankful, fortunate, optimistic, curious, intrigued, anxious, nervous, terrified, and sad. These were my feelings before I began this new chapter in my book of life. I told myself for the longest time, “when I’m older I’m going to travel all over Europe, see the things I’ve only studied about in textbooks and have seen on television, the things I could only dream of seeing in real life.” It finally happened! Grazie, Mom and Dad, without the both of you this wouldn’t have ever happened.
When I began the College of Human Sciences’ Interior Design program at Auburn and read about the Joseph S. Bruno in Italy Abroad Program, I immediately signed my name and sent the deposit. An experience of a lifetime is what both my parents and I thought. I wanted to come home with stories and experiences to tell my family and friends, hundreds of pictures to document where I have been, and a group of girls I could call my best friends. I think John Hope Franklin said it best with his words, “We must go beyond textbooks, go out into the bypaths and untrodden depths of the wilderness and travel and explore and tell the world the glories of our journey” (thinkexist.com). I closed the books in February, took a mental note of the places I would set my heart on seeing, packed my bags, and flew 4787 miles, with 19 other girls I barely knew, to a destination foreign to me.
Ariccia, Italy, small town located less than 20 miles from Rome, situated among the Castelli Romani hillside, was where I called home for the past three months. Living inside the Chigi Palace I discovered a lot about myself. I stepped out of my comfort zone, cleared my mind of worries and stress and told myself I was going to take in everything around me and enjoy my time in Italy to the fullest. Fitzhugh Milan said, “Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and celebrates the journey” (thinkexist.com). I believe in this quote to the fullest. Before I came to Italy I was constantly worrying about the ‘what ifs’, ‘should haves’, and ‘could haves’ in my life instead of living more in the moment, taking in what was around me, and finding good and happiness in whatever life threw at me. Let’s face it, even if someone lives in the most gorgeous place in the world, not everything will be perfect.
During this trip many of the girls, myself included, have been thrown into difficult situations both from home and from here. Our GTA broke her foot, I got four stitches in my chin, many of us lost loved ones and pets, but for some reason everything turned out to be okay. Instead of letting something get in the way we have all helped each other find the good in our unfortunate situations and events. It makes me wonder if these same things happened back in the States if any of us would have such a positive outlook on any of the situations.
Daranna Gidel hit the nail on the head when she said, “You lose sight of things, and when you travel, everything balances out” (thinkexist.com). When I was living my normal, everyday life in Auburn I took a lot for granted. I didn’t stop what I was doing to fully understand how fortunate I was and how beautiful my surroundings were. I was so used to the convenience of America that I expected everything to be in one place, done quickly, and have of what I needed to be handed to me. In Italy, people take their time.
I frequently let interior design consume me and forgot to enjoy life. I ate dinner on the go instead of sitting down and enjoying not just the food I was blessed to have in-front of me, but also the precious time I was spending with loved ones while we enjoyed a meal together. Italy has allowed me to find a balance in life and that is one of the most important things a person can have. Balance allows us to find a happy medium between work and play. If we let one out weigh the other our lives can become overwhelmed.
In class a few weeks ago Tommy Smith’s two friends, Scott and Cheryl Edwards from Seattle Washington, gave a lecture to us on the ‘Cone Free Zone.’ I had no idea what this meant before going into the classroom, but when they were finished speaking I didn’t want them to stop. They explained to us that many times we have a cone on our heads (like a dog gets when it can’t touch it’s face).  This cone restricts us. We often block out other people’s opinions, ideas, outlooks, etc. because we feel that our way is the only right way. In reality, this isn’t true. To fully take in a new culture, to experience all that a new place has to offer, we have to take this cone off and allow new ideas in (Edwards, 2011).
James Michener once said, “If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and avoid the people, you might better stay at home” (thinkexist.com). I came to Italy not knowing what to expect. I did know the food was great, but I didn’t know how different Italian customs and people were from the American way of doing things. Instead of keeping myself locked up, I opened my mind to the Italian way. I tried everything I could possibly try when it came to Italian cooking; I even took a cooking class with real Italian chefs who didn’t speak one bit of English. I embraced the long meals, cappuccinos instead of coffees, kissing both cheeks when you greet someone, saying, “cin, cin” before having dinner with wine, and learning enough Italian to communicate to the locals. The religion, being Catholic myself, was something I didn’t have to get used to because I was raised in Catholicism, but the majority of the girls weren’t. On this trip we went into numerous churches and cathedrals and learned a lot about different saints, popes, and apostles. This, in itself, was all a foreign language to most of the girls. However, each girl had an open mind and was willing to learn about an important part of the Italian and Catholic life.
Living in the small town of Ariccia has made our interactions with the Italian locals more intimate and personal. We’ve had an insight to Italy that most tourists will never see. Instead of ignoring those who were different than us, we got to personally know and build relationships with many locals including our professors, store clerks, and peers our age. Some girls have even found love that may one day bring them back to Italy.
This experience as a whole has expanded my mind to a different way of living, to a new culture, and to a new way of thinking. As an interior design major I could have never asked for a better experience to make the creative gears in my mind spin at a mile a minute. Inspiration overload is the phrase I’m looking for. Not only have I gained knowledge and inspiration from my fellow Human Science majors to help further my career, but I have also grown on a personal level by fully immersing myself in a completely different way of life.
            2. How did your study abroad experience expand your knowledge in your major field of study?
Moving to Italy for three months was one of the best professional and educational decisions I have ever made. It has expanded not only my knowledge in the field of interior design, but has also given me inspiration that I could not have gained elsewhere.  I think it’s appropriate to begin with the architecture and history of Rome. Although I’m specifically studying interior design, endless research and different areas of design contribute to the final outcome of a project. We often begin with the roots of a culture and expand our ideas off a piece of architecture or historical finding.
Roman architecture has been a part of the foundation of design for ages. The use of columns, marble, and classical design is still practiced today. Seeing Romanesque, Baroque, and Gothic styles on a first hand basis will never compare to what I have learned from a textbook in my Auburn University classrooms. Having that first hand experience of being at an actual sight, with a professor who is explaining every little detail about the history and construction of a cathedral or Roman ruin grabs your attention and allows your mind to absorb the information in a lasting way.
During my stay in Italy I’ve had the opportunity to travel to different countries and have opened my eyes to other styles of architecture not just ancient Roman and Etruscan ruins and monuments. Paris, Prague, Frankfurt, Barcelona, and Geneva have also expanded my knowledge of design and architecture. Each place is unique in itself and has famous structures worth seeing. Having intensely studied the works of Gaudi, Barcelona was breathtaking to me. I finally had the opportunity to see and touch some of his greatest works and see for myself his use of natural lines and free form shapes.
Although I expanded my knowledge of architecture and famous structures dating back to B.C., my passion for art and design intrigues me more than anything. Art and style is one of the key elements to interior design. One town that I enjoyed the most was Deruta, Italy. Detail, originality, customization, and craftsmanship are emphasized constantly in my major. While in Deruta we visited one of the oldest pottery factories of the area. Deruta is known for its Maiolica pottery, usually made with bright colors on a white background depicting historical scenes. I’ve had an interest in pottery and its’ creation since high school. Maiolica pottery is constructed into the desired shape, fired, glazed, painted, and fired again. Each piece is hand painted in a various style. Three styles found in Deruta include: Deruta Raffaellesco (usually has borders depicting mythical animals), Ricco Deruta (bloomed scrolls and the blue arabesque), and Deruta Arabesco (derived from the patterns on ware imported from the east in the 15th century). After visiting the pottery factory it expanded my knowledge not only of pottery, but also of designs I could use in the future and an authentic Italian product I could recommend to clients.
Castiglion del Bosco began our tour of Tuscany. The winery and estate really began to get my interior design wheels turning. This summer I have to take my non-residential studio where we design a bank in a location of our choice. The second I walked into the reception area of the resort I decided on Napa Valley, California. I would be able to stay with the Tuscan theme while incorporating it in a non-residential space. I took numerous pictures to capture inspiration for my space. Everything from furniture to colors, drapes to lettering was documented through photos. Having the opportunity to visit a place of inspiration for a project expands my resources, knowledge, and insight to perfect my overall design.
I also found inspiration in one of my favorite Italian cities, Florence. Florence is home to the Riccardo Barthel Interiors and Yachting showroom and design studio. We were given the opportunity to visit and tour the showroom. Riccardo’s vision was to revive the finest tradition of Florentine and European craftsmanship. He transformed objects found in Italy to household items such as lamps, furniture, and hardware. Each room was filled with things I could only dream of designing with, every one more creative than the next. His studio is exactly what I aspire to have when I gain recognition in the design world. It was so intriguing to see old roman columns made into floor lamps or rowboats made into shelves.
Milan: design capital of the world. Enough said? Our last overnight field trip of the program was to Italy’s Big Apple. Modern style meets old city architecture; fashion design meets interior design; classic art meets contemporary art. The city was a designer’s playground and when I got there I was ready to explore. The program is fortunate to have interior designer/professor, Massimo Martignoni who made us aware about the history of Milan design and gave us a history on the architect, Piero Portalippi and what is now the Portalippi Foundation. My favorite aspect of the Milan trip was the La Triennale di Milano Design Museum, a modern museum dedicated to architects, designers, modern furniture and lighting. I discovered designs and designers I have never heard of or seen before. It was a modern design knowledge overload. The museum walls were covered in design quotes, definitions, and thoughts from random unknown people. I could have spent hours reading the walls alone. As an interior design student I found a strong connection with many of the pieces on display and took away from the experience products and architects to add to my personal resource library.
The program as a whole has expanded my knowledge in more ways than one. It has inspired me in all categories of design, whether it be residential, commercial, hospitality, or healthcare. I have more knowledge in my area of study and the other human science majors than I did before I traveled to Italy. If I could have I would have traveled to Milan for Design Week and expanded my knowledge even more, however time ran out. If I return to Italy in the future I know I will continue to be inspired with every turn of my head and gain even a greater understanding of design, especially design found throughout Italy.

3. How did your study abroad experience help you to reach outside the boundaries of your major to understand how other fields of study can make you more expert in your major (e.g., What have you learned about families that would help you be a better interior designer? Hospitality manager? What have you learned about interiors or the hospitality industry that applies to families?).
                        Health, safety, and welfare are the three focal points every interior designer focuses on when approaching a potential project. Research is a large part of the design process and understanding what your client’s needs and wants are is key to a successful project. Being exposed to a different culture and way of life has made me understand that every family is different in their own way. It’s important to get to know who you’re designing for and incorporate their lifestyle into the basic design of a space. Italian’s love large home cooked family dinners that last for hours. In a design for an Italian family, I would create a large kitchen with enough room to socialize. It would open up to a grand table with comfortable seating and enough space to relax and let the hours fade into the night. In America, our family lifestyle is usually quite different. Quick meals without the whole family present, more than likely take out depending on schedule conflict. A design that fits this family would incorporate a kitchen with bar/island seating and an informal dinning or breakfast room.
            I’ve also reached outside the boundaries of my major to gain an understanding of how hotel and restaurant management operates. Hospitality is an area of design that I would like to have a future in. Being able to learn more about the major has given me more knowledge to further my career goals. Similar to any other business, the Hospitality Industry is centered around the customer, which in this case is the guest. A good design in any public space especially hospitality has to be visually pleasing and functional as well. Careful consideration must go into planning the overall area as well as the smaller spaces with in it. Having the opportunity to visit various hospitality spaces during my experience has broaden my understanding of this concept and expanded my knowledge to various designs.
            Communications and Public Relations is also an important aspect to any major because it all comes down to selling yourself to a potential employer or client. Maurizio, one of our Italian faculty members, gave us a lecture on branding. He said one of the most important things anyone can do is to have a successful visual brand and way of getting your name out there. We ourselves are products that we are selling to each person we meet everyday. Our image and presentation have to constantly be impeccable because you never know whom you may run into. Maurizio also told us to get out in the world and meet as many people as we can. You never know who they are or what connections you can make through someone. A resumé packed with education, extra- curriculars, and experience may get you a job, but connections often get you farther.
            To become an expert within your major definitely involves having an open mind to all majors of study. Having lived for three months with girls in different areas of study, yet all playing off each other has been the perfect scenario for expanding my professional knowledge. I’ve always asked myself why interior design is part of the College of Human Sciences and not Architecture, now I understand why. If I was constantly surrounded with people in the same field I wouldn’t be the designer I am today. By understanding the correlation between all the fields of study in the Human Sciences program it has allowed me to become more concerned with the function of space and ultimately customer navigation throughout each unique space I have designed.
4. How did your study abroad experience help you to become a better Human Scientist (that is, how have you become aware of quality of life issues worldwide? How have you become aware of the influences that historical and cultural differences have on your own worldview?)
            Throughout my experience abroad it has become evident how much my awareness of different qualities of life has developed. One important aspect of the Joseph S. Bruno Auburn Abroad in Italy program has been our involvement with the World Food Program. After participating in their War on Hunger Initiative through the online Free Rice activity and visiting their headquarters in Rome, I have gained a better understanding and greater knowledge of the on-going issues threatening lives across the world. There are millions of people in third world countries suffering from starvation, disease, and poverty. The quality of life they’re living compared to my life is on the extreme end of terrible. Small donations each month to the WFP and other disaster relief organizations can have a significant and lasting impact on individuals, families, and communities’ well-being around the world.
            Another issue that falls under my new knowledge of worldwide quality of life issues is human trafficking. In the United States this is almost non-existent, but in Europe and other parts of the world this is becoming a greater issue. There are more and more organizations being created around the world that combat against this terrible market. NightLight is an example of one organization that rescues women in the trade and puts them back into their community.
            Upon leaving the States three months ago I had never been fully immersed in a foreign culture. My view of the world was wrapped up in the American way. As I let myself step outside my comfort zone, I realized how much historical and cultural differences have made me see the world with a new set of eyes.
            I became aware of a new way of living. In Italy, appreciating the world’s beauty, taking in a slower way of life, and being exposed to a new language has given me a better understanding and patience with those who are different than me. Instead of thinking the American way is the right and only way, now I see that each country and culture views and does things differently. There isn’t a right or wrong way, just different ways. Every place and those who live in it are unique in their own way. My worldview has completely changed since I’ve spent the past twelve weeks away from my normal life. Now I know first-hand that everywhere has its’ positives and negatives, unique to each individual. I believe everyone needs to leave their comfort zone and allow themselves to explore the world and obtain a new world view through travel and experience. 
5. How was your study abroad experience like the Grand Tour? Address the following questions: What is The Grand Tour? Why are Ariccia and the surrounding region important in the history of The Grand Tour? How did your experiences in Italy parallel The Grand Tour?
Starting around the 16th century it became popular for young men and women to embark on a tour of Europe as a culmination of their educational experience. What is known as the Grand Tour lasted anywhere from a few months to several years. Italy became one of the prominent destinations for the young travelers because of its ancient history and picturesque landscapes (Bradbard, 2011). Language, art, architecture, history, literature, food, clothing, and local customs were all huge facets in which members of the grand tour immersed themselves. Those who participated in this tour maintained their identity while developing relationships with locals and those of different cultures. Most kept diaries or journals to document his or her experiences, adventures, and newfound lands.
Ariccia and the surrounding Castelli Romani region is important in the history of the Grand Tour because many well-known artists, writers, and musicians spent much of their Tour being inspired by the area. The Chigi Park was a popular oasis for many artists to paint new landscapes and for writers to jot down new ideas for their next great literary work. In our literature lecture, with Jessica Weiss, on author Henry James’, “Italian Hours”, he vividly describes the towns of Ariccia and Albano as charming, picturesque, and extravagant (Weiss, 2011).  Ariccia has a history dating back to the 1700s. It became a haven for important artists and writers of the time. Creativity flourished between the second half of the 18th century and the beginning of the 19th century. During this time the best artists, decorators, writers, and poets worked in Ariccia as part of their Grand Tour. Ariccia became a frequent stop to make travelers. Bernini made Ariccia his canvas by creating the square; church, palace, and fountains included (Petrucci, 2011). Those of us lucky enough to live here are living in a town extremely important to the arts.
My three short months have been filled with learning experiences and travel opportunities that mimic those of the young men and women of the Grand Tour. Like my predecessors I’ve spent three months of my life immersed in Italian language, art, architecture, history, literature, food, clothing, and local customs. My travels have paralleled those of the Grand Tour by including Rome, Florence, Venice, Milan, Bologna, and the various towns of the Castelli Romani. My personal Grand Tour of Europe also has included Paris, Prague, Barcelona, Athens, Geneva, and Frankfurt. Within each place I visited I made it a point to learn something about the art, architecture, history, literature, food, and local customs. As the young men and women did on the original Grand Tour, I’ve documented what I have learned and seen through pictures and a digital journal. As I look back on my experiences and adventures, documenting my time here through various mediums was one of the best decisions I could have made. I know I would have never been able to remember every detail and fact about each place or experience I had without a reference. In the future maybe someone will take the time to read my journal as we read the journals of past Grand Tour travelers.
6. Conclusion
I left Auburn with a few goals in the back of my mind I wanted to accomplish while I was here. First, make lifelong friendships. I’ve accomplished this with some if not all of the girls. I have so much in common with them that I can see us attending each other’s weddings, baby showers, having girls’ nights, or taking weekend trips together. The 19 girls I’ve spent the last 3 months with have become sisters to me. I can confidently say I would do anything for anyone of them.
Second, travel to as many places as possible. In Italy I've been to many little towns, historical sites, and cities. In Europe I've gotten to travel to Athens, Paris, Geneva, Prague, Frankfurt and Barcelona. There are many other places I wish to visit, but time has run out. When my next adventure overseas will be, I do not know, but having the confidence that I can travel and become apart of a new culture drives me to make it possible.
Third, my top three. In one of my very first, pre-departure blogs, I posted three pictures of places I wanted to go: Verona, the Swiss Alps and Cinque Terra. I was always told if I set my heart and soul to something I can do anything. I’ve traveled to all three places, one better than the next. Goal number three accomplished.
Lastly, learn more about myself, mature, and appreciate everything and learn a different way of living. I haven't been home sick, I can say I have been person sick. I have missed my family, dog, and boyfriend, but now I know that they really are what matter most to me. Material things I could care less about, new clothes, shoes, accessories, gadgets, and house wares are great, but I didn't have all that over here, I had relationships and experiences. I know being on my own I have to take care of myself both physically and mentally. I've learned that the little things you do for people do go a long way. I've learned that being the responsible one or being the "mom" of the group isn't a bad thing and having multiple people tell me I'm going to be a great mother and wife mean more to me than anything. I've learned that opportunity outweighs time and money, and plans can and will change, so just go with it. I've learned to take my time to embrace my surroundings, to slow down, and appreciate what's around me, no rushing necessary. Stress is the body's worst enemy; it can consume you and take over if you let it. Why sweat the small things or even big things? If they happen, happened, or are happening, what can you really do about it if it’s something you can’t control or couldn’t control in the first place.
            My experience in Italy has given me a new perspective on life. It has opened my eyes and mind to new things, people, and places. It has left me with memories that will forever be instilled in my mind and a group of roommates, faculty, and staff that I can forever call my Italian family. 
References
Bradbard, M. Joseph S. Bruno Auburn Abroad in Italy Syllabus Spring 2011.
Edwards, S & C. Classroom lecture on "Creating a Cone Free Zone: Cultural Impacts on Stress, Wellness, and Relationships".

Petrucci, F. Classroom lecture on the “Art of the Grand Tour.”
ThinkExist.com Quotations. “Travel quotes”. ThinkExist.com Quotations Online

Weiss, J. Classroom lecture on “Italian Hours” by Henry James.

No comments:

Post a Comment