4.21.2011

not a tourist anymore

I had my final trip to Rome with the girls on Tuesday. It was different this time than the first few times we ventured into the city. When we started the program 3 months ago, we were new-bee's, tourists, strangers if you will. But this time it felt different. We went to Rome not to see the sites or take pictures, we were there to run errands, get things done, and pick some stuff up. I needed brownie mix...4euro brownie mix x 3boxes=16 boxes in America. If I knew I was going to be incharge of dessert for our Southern Meal I would have stuffed a few Walmart brownie mixes in my suitcase and called it a day! I was also on a mission to find a spring green Longchamp bag. Suze was determined to find her mom silver crosses at the Vatican, take a picture for a family friend, gifts for her boyfriend, dad, and grandfather, and Laura and the other girls were along for the ride. Within the first half hour of being there we got everything done and were able to enjoy the rest of the day...well sort of. 
I think it's safe to say we're not tourists anymore. Sunday just happens to be the biggest day for the Vatican...Easter. And one of the busiest times for tourism in Rome. The streets, sidewalks, and souvenir shoppes were packed full of tourist groups and for once I felt like a local. It's nice knowing that although I might not be Italian, definitely can't speak the language, and look straight-up from Northern Europe if anywhere over here, I felt like I was from there. I'm confident in saying I could probably tell someone how to get to the main attractions in Rome without looking at a map...for the most part. I felt even more at home when we ran into Roberta, one of our staff, on the way to dinner. All the hot spots, the Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps and St. Peter's Square weren't the easiest to navigate through with the hundreds of people surrounding them. 
It's going to be sad leaving here in less than 36 hours. I've gotten accustom to Rome, European travel, and not having a plan. It won't ever be like this in Auburn, but all good things eventually come to an end. And overstaying your welcome isn't a good thing. It's time, but I have plans to return to Italy in the future. 
Tomorrow is our last day! Our schedule consists of packing, cleaning, and packing some more. Saying our last goodbyes, and enjoying a group dinner together one last time in Italy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment