2.01.2011

4787miles or 7660kilometers

Street Sign going into Ariccia
Ciao!
View from the bridge outside the Palace.
          After a 9 hour flight, 4787 miles, and accepting the fact ice really isn't anywhere to be found over here, I have arrived in Ariccia! Out flight was delayed about an hour leaving Atlanta yesterday afternoon, but once in air I took a few NyQuil and said goodnight for at least 2/3 of the flight. Flying over wasn't what I thought it would have been. After going to Ireland and Scotland on two huge planes with at least 12 plus people across, this flight made me feel like I was on a "puddle jumper" going over the atlantic ocean. I luckily didn't get a middle seat but didn't get a window either. I thought I was going to be more nervous than I was too. It's been awhile since I took that long of a flight but I think the excitement of me finally being in Italy outweighed any fears I had about getting over there (or here I should say...).
They might have gone bankrupt in the
U.S. but still going strong in Italy! 
         Once we arrived, unpacked, and learned a few housekeeping rules, we had lunch. Then we took our first tour of Ariccia and Albano, the neighboring town. Every store is closed here from 1pm-4:30pm for lunch (bet ya'll wish you could have a lunch break like that in America). Everything is in Italian but I feel like I'm going to pick up on what signs mean very quickly. The few American things I did discover were a Blockbuster, Michelin Tire, and a Shell gas station, random? yes. Oh and I can't forget to tell you the first restaurant I saw after leaving the airport was a McDonald's (go figure).
     We learned how to buy bus and train tickets and where to pick them up and where to get off. Where the various grocery stores, outdoor markets, cafes, pharmacies, and atm's available to us are. After we had a few hours to relax we had dinner at a pizzaria down the street. We tried tons of smoked meats, cheese, bruchetta, and pizzas all topped off with my favorite...dessert. (picture opportunity missed...forgot my memory card to my camera in my computer, i'll just relive it again one night).
Not going too picture crazy at this point (the first day) but I think it's about to start...


"When in Rome!" ( or Albano)



No comments:

Post a Comment