2.22.2011

3.5 weeks thru



i'm almost a 1/3 of the way done. i can't believe it; in 2 1/2 weeks my parents and nick arrive in Rome. time really does fly when you're having the time of your life. i left Auburn with a few goals in the back of my mind that i wanted to accomplish while i was here:

1. make lifelong friendships.
      [i really feel like i've accomplished that or will accomplish that with some of the girls before i leave. i have so much in common with a few of them that i can see us attending each others weddings, baby showers, having girls nights, or weekend trips together.]

2. travel to as many places as possible.
     [in Italy i've already been to a ton of little towns, historical sites and cities. in europe i've gotten to travel to Athens, saturday i leave for Paris, the following weekend Cinque Terre and Florence, Venice, Verona, Lake Garda, and Milan with my family. i've booked trips to Prague, Frankfurt, Barcelona, and Switzerland. my final weekend a group trip to Posatano. there are so many other places i wish to visit, but there's just not enough time to do so. my next adventures to europe will definitely include: London, Capri, the Greek Islands, Austria, Berlin, Corsica, southern France (Nice), and if all is settled in Egypt I'd love to go there. my list, in reality, of places i want to go see with my own eyes is never ending. if i could i'd love to visit every continent, will that happen?, probably not, but being a dreamer isn't a bad thing. a safari in Africa, a camel ride in India, or a cruise to Dubai would be great as well. alaska, hawaii, and some of the states out west are more accessible and realistic in the years to come, but never say never to the others.}

3. my top three.
    [in one of my very first, pre-departure blogs, i posted three pictures of places i really wanted to go to. Verona, to see the letters to juliet wall. a Lake at the edge of the alps. Cinque Terra. to my amazement it's actually going to happen. Cinque Terra next weekend. Verona and Lake Garda the following week. how fortunate am i go accomplish that, how lucky i am to have parents willing to make my ambitions and goals come true.] 

4. learn more about myself, mature, and appreciate everything around different cultures and me.
      [i haven't been home sick, i have been person sick. i miss my family, dog, and boyfriend, but i know now that they really are what matter most to me. material things i could care less about, yeah new clothes, shoes, accessories, gadgets, and house wares are great, but i don't have all that over here, i have relationships and experiences. i know being on my own i have to take care of myself both physically and mentally. i've learned that the little things you do for people do go a long way. i've learned that being the responsible one or being the "mom" of the group isn't a bad thing and having multiple people tell me i'm going to be a great mom and wife mean more to me than anything. i've learned that opportunity out weighs time and money, and plans can and will change, so just go with it. i've learned to take my time to embrace my surroundings, to slow down, and appreciate what's around me, no rushing necessary or needed. stress is the body's worst drug. it can consume you and take over you if you let it. why sweat the small things or even big things. if they happen, happened, or are happening, what can you really do about it if there's nothing you can control...like the weather or politics. i've learned to immerse myself in the culture of where ever it is i end up. going out to an american bar or tourist spot isn't how you accomplish this. stepping out of your comfort zone and putting yourself in the middle of a new culture is how to fully experience what a country and ethniticity have to teach you (like greece this past weekend). i've learned how to maneuver around places i've never been and not panic when i'm not exactly sure where i am. thou i have to admit, i often give off to a group of people that i know exactly where i'm going even if i don't have the slightest idea. somehow it always turns out for the best. confidence and a good sense of direction (thank you mother!). 

::i have other goals to accomplish while i'm here, but for now those are the most important for now. almost 4 weeks into it and i've already learned and experienced more than i ever have. 8 more to go and then life starts again in Auburn. till then i'll continue doing what i'm doing till i can't anymore::

ciao,
jamie krywicki.

No comments:

Post a Comment