3.21.2011

Spring Break 2011

5:55am- Train to Rome.
7:15am- Pick-up from train station to airport to surprise my parents and Nick.
8:30am- SURPRISE! 
9:00am- Tour of the highlights of Rome.
12:00pm- Lunch.
3:00pm- Visit to the Pantheon.
6:30pm-Dinner by Piazza del Popolo.
9:45pm- Drinks with Brittany and her future fiance at Scholar's Pub.
1:00am- Bed.


And that was just Day 1! In 8 days we checked off Rome, Florence, Orvieto, Siena, Venice, Murano, Lake Garda, Verona, and Milan. A cooking class and a wine tasting in Tuscany. Tours of everywhere and glass blowing in Murano. Details? If you insist....


I cried when I saw the site of my parents and Nick walking through the airport towards me. My dad obviously made the comment, "what about us?" as I wrapped my arms around Nick. It wasn't that I didn't miss my parents just as much, it's just a girls natural reaction (love you mom and dad!). The driver suggested we go ahead and start their 4 hour highlight tour of Roma. So that's where their first day in Italy began. I guess I was a little bit of a tour guide as well because I had the opportunity at the beginning of the semester to visit everywhere on the agenda. The Roman Forum, Coliseum, Trevi Fountain, Piazza di Nouvao, Spanish Steps, and among others took up the 4 hours quiet well. Once we had information overload, got checked into our hotel (the Residenza Borghese), i introduced my parents and Nick to real Italian pizza. A long walk to dinner in Piazza del Popolo started with a pit stop to the Pantheon and ended with a relaxing walk home. 
Dad and Mom: Coliseum 
Nick and I: Coliseum

Mom and Dad making their wishes at
the Trevi Fountain
Nick and I making our wishes at
the Trevi Fountain


When in Rome...on the Spanish Steps

i had to physically wake my mom up Saturday morning at 8am. that was a first in my whole 22 years. i can't blame her though. our first night in Italy us girls slept to 1:30pm. i had a bit of a dilemma when we started to snap pictures, i wasn't. my camera lens was completely shot. according to the nice italian man at the camera shop, the motor or some part inside the lens was broken, not worth repairing. buy a new camera or new lens? my only two options. i couldn't go 4 more weeks in italy with weekend trips to 4 different countries without a camera. well happy birthday for 5 years to me. my more then generous dad said, "get the damn camera," and that was the end of that. i wanted to treat everyone to lunch so we went to what i'd like to call the Roman's Subway, "Panini as you like". for 29 euro I bought everyone their own sandwich and beverage of choice, probably one of our favorite meals of the entire trip...cheap and delicious! the Vatican tour I arranged for us started at 2pm, so I introduced everyone to the Rome metro and we headed to Vatican City. a lot of the tour was redundant for me since prior that week we went there as a group, but my mom and dad seems to really enjoy learning about everything our very, very talkative guide had to tell us...did i say talkative, justttt making sure. as for dinner, my dad was super proud to have a place recommended to him by one of his colleagues. i must say it was very good, very traditional, and it looked like the basement of a 3rd generation Italian family! 
Castello di Meleto
one city down. next stop Florence, with a pit stop in Orvieto and Siena! Sunday was a little miserable...weather wise. the rain began that morning and didn't end till Friday night. our driver, Jacquemo (spelling?) was great! he kept us entertained for 3 hours as we headed to Florence. first stop Orvieto. everyone loved it. small town Italy with great ally's and beautiful scenery. my mom made sure to get the family some souvenirs here and dad painstakingly handed over the credit card. though he was about to do it once more that day but this time was for himself. Siena, wine tasting, next stop and purchase. a great lunch and four fabulous wines later. 12 bottles are being shipped over to the States as we speak. the Castello di Meleto  was nestled in the Tuscan Hills. already in love with the interior design on Tuscany, this place added to it. my favorite thing about Castello di Meleto was inside the castle, the theater. at first glance you'd think the picture below was a fresco, but it was an actual performance stage.



Wine Tasting Room: Castello di Meleto
Theater: Castello di Meleto
Because there is so much to say about my spring break this i think is a good place to take a breather and update again tomorrow. you'll hear all about our adventures in Florence, Venice, Verona, Lake Garda, and Milan.
Ciao for now!
Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment